A famous statue has made its home at RV Homebase this month, causing somewhat of a “historic hype” among residents.
The Venus of Willendorf artist impression statue was introduced to the Village by Brenda and Dougal Cumming Thom, and has taken pride of place in their front garden.
The original statue was found in 1908 by an archaeologist in an Aurignacian loess deposit, near the town of Willendorf in Austria and is now in the Naturhistorisches Museum, Vienna.
When first discovered, the “Venus” of Willendorf was thought to date to approximately 15,000 to 10,000 BCE, or more or less to the same period as the cave paintings at Lascaux in France.
In the 1970s the date was revised back to 25,000-20,000 BCE, and then in the 1980s it was revised again to c. 30,000-25,000 BCE.
The original Venus of Willendorf statue stands at just over 11 centimeters in height, and exhibits several exaggerated female features including its breasts, stomach, and pubic area. It is carved from oolitic limestone that is uncharacteristic of the region within Austria in which it was found, causing scholars to conclude that it was likely carried to the location by a nomadic community.
The emphasis placed on the exaggerated female body parts has led some scholars to suggest that the statue may have been a symbol of fertility, or perhaps even a carving depicting an ancient goddess.
She is arguably the most famous early image of the female form.